The emerald is the birthstone of May, and as such will be getting a lot of attention this month. However, aside from the iconic deep green color, not much is known about this beautiful and popular jewel. So in the spirit of our May birthday celebrants, here are a few lesser known facts about this verdant stone.
* Emeralds represent one of the four recognized precious stones; along with rubies, diamonds,
and sapphires. It’s name comes from the Greek word “smaragdus.” , basically translated to “green.”
* Emeralds are found across the globe, in 30 diverse countries. Columbia is the world’s largest producer of the gem, providing nearly 50% of the world’s gemstones. Other major producers include Brazil, Zambia, and Afghanistan.
* Emeralds are found in North America but have only been found in 5 U.S. States to date – Montana, North and South Carolina, Connecticut and Nevada.
* Emeralds are usually cut into a rectangular shape, but are is not limited to that configuration.
* Finding high-quality emeralds is quite rare, and many undergo treatment to improve clarity before they are sold.
Although they are considered an appropriate gift for the May birthday honorees in your life, Rebel Hill Florist has a suggestion that may be more practical for most people – choose one of our arrangements of green flowers, delivered straight to your loved ones. Green cymbidium orchids, hydrangea, roses, and carnations are beautiful floral representations of the May birthstone and make for gorgeous gifts. Call the expert designers at our Nashville flower shop to discuss a creative and unique way to honor your special May occasions, with an emerald-inspired bouquet from Rebel Hill.